8.1 Standing Committees.
The Standing Committees of the Association shall be the Elections Committee provided for in Section 5.3 and such other committees created by the Board and designated by the Board as Standing Committees.
8.2 Composition And Appointment Of Standing Committees.
- 8.2.1 Except as otherwise provided in these Bylaws, all members of Standing Committees shall be Members. Such committee members shall be appointed by the Chancellor during the term of the Chancellor to serve for a term concurrent with the Chancellor’s term or until their successors are appointed.
- 8.2.2 The Chairs or Co-Chairs of Standing Committees shall be named by the Chancellor on or before January 15 of the Chancellor’s term to serve for a term concurrent with the Chancellor’s term or until their successors are appointed. The Chancellor, Chancellor-Elect and Vice Chancellor shall be ex officio voting members of such committees. Except as otherwise provided, vacancies in the position of Chair or Co-Chair of a Standing Committee shall be filled by appointment of the Chancellor.
- 8.2.3 Where the Chancellor deems the same to be in the best interests of the Association, and subject to the provisions of this Section 8.2.3 as well as the other provisions of the Bylaws, the Chancellor may appoint one or more non-lawyers to serve as members of any Standing Committee except that, unless otherwise approved by the Board, (1) any one Standing Committee may have no more than five or no greater than one-third of its members, whichever is less, who are non-lawyers, and (2) no non-lawyer may be Chair or Co-Chair of any Standing Committee.
8.3 Special And Ad Hoc Committees.
- 8.3.1 Committees other than Standing Committees may be created and dissolved as the Board or the Chancellor may direct. The Chancellor, Chancellor-Elect and Vice Chancellor shall be ex officio voting members of each such Special Committee or Ad Hoc Committee. The term Special and Ad Hoc Committees shall include Task Forces.
- 8.3.2 Where the Chancellor deems the same to be in the best interests of the Association, the Chancellor may appoint one or more non-lawyers to serve as members of any Special or Ad Hoc Committee except that, unless otherwise approved by the Board, no non‑lawyer may be chair or co-chair of any Special or Ad Hoc Committee unless there is a co‑chair of such Special or Ad Hoc Committee who is a Member.
- 8.3.3 Except as otherwise provided, the Chancellor shall appoint the chair or co‑chairs of, and shall fill vacancies in the office of chair or co-chairs of, each Special or Ad Hoc Committee.
- 8.3.4 The names and descriptions of each Special and Ad Hoc Committee shall be listed in a Register of Committees.
8.4 Register Of Committees.
The Association shall maintain a register of Committees which shall include the names and descriptions of the Standing and Special and Ad Hoc Committees. The register of Committees shall be included in the Association’s website.
8.5 Committee Meetings.
- 8.5.1 Each Committee shall meet at least quarterly at the call of the Chair thereof, and it shall be the duty of the Chair to call a meeting upon the written request of a majority of the members of the Committee or of the Chancellor.
- 8.5.2 At the discretion of the Chancellor or the Chair of the Standing Committee affected, notice of a meeting or meetings of a Standing Committee may be given in such manner and to such persons, whether or not members of the Standing Committee or of the Association, as deemed to be in the best interests of the Association.
8.6 Committee Procedures; Reports.
- 8.6.1 Except as otherwise provided herein, all Committees shall fix their regular time and place of meeting, may provide that a number less than a majority of the Committee shall constitute a quorum thereof, and shall have the general power to adopt regulations for their own government and course of procedure not inconsistent with the Charter, Bylaws and resolutions of the Association.
- 8.6.2 Committees shall not undertake any activity involving the expenditure of funds except as provided in this Section 8.6.2. Funds (i) authorized by the Board for expenditure by Committees in the Association’s annual operating budget provided for in Section 6.3.1; and/or (ii) otherwise authorized by the Board for expenditure by a Committee or Committees, subject to the limitations set forth in Section 6.3.1, may be expended by Committees with the approval of the Chancellor or the Executive Director. Funds may be raised and expended by Committees with the approval of the Chancellor or the Executive Director. If a Committee disagrees with a decision of the Executive Director with respect to a specific expenditure or fund-raising activity, the Committee may seek approval of the Chancellor, whose decision shall be final. All actions by Committees shall be consistent with the Charter, Bylaws and resolutions of the Board.
- 8.6.3 At such time or times as the Chancellor or Board shall determine, the Chair of each Committee shall transmit a report of its activities to the Chancellor and/or the Board.
- 8.6.4 Committees charged with acting on behalf of the Association or with representing its views shall do so subject to Section 11.3 of these Bylaws.
8.7 Effect Of Excessive Absence.
Subject to the exercise of the discretion of the Chancellor, any appointed member of a Committee who, after due notice, is absent without excuse from three successive Committee meetings shall, upon written request of the Chair of the Committee to the Chancellor, cease to be a member of the Committee; the member’s name shall be removed forthwith from any roster of the Committee maintained by the Association, and the vacancy thereby occasioned shall be filled as in the case of other vacancies.