PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO PHILADELPHIA BAR ASSOCIATION BYLAWS SECTIONS 208 AND 602
As Adopted By The Board of Governors - May 25, 2010
[Language to be added is underlined; deleted material is shown with
Section 208. The Board.
A. The members of the Board entitled to vote, shall be
- the Officers, all of whom shall serve for a term co-extensive with their respective terms of office;
- the immediate past Chancellor;
- the immediate past Chair of the Board;
- a representative of each Section designated by the Section and then serving as a member of the highest executive body of the Section who shall serve for a term of one year (provided that no such representative shall serve for more than three consecutive one-year terms); the Chair of each Section shall notify the Chair of the Board on or before December 31 of each year of the identity of the person designated by the Section to serve as a member of the Board during the following calendar year as a representative of the Section;
- 15 persons elected by the Members as provided in Section 300(A)(1)(c), consisting of three classes of five Members each, who shall serve for a term of three years, one class being elected each year;
- three persons appointed by the Chancellor pursuant to Section 208(C), each of whom shall serve for a term of three years, one person being appointed each year;
- the Chair and Chair-Elect of the Young Lawyers Division.; and
- a Dean of one of the accredited area law schools identified on a list established by the Board of Governors, which Dean shall be designated by the Deans of such law schools, in a manner approved by the Board of Governors, to represent the Deans at any number of meetings.
Section 602. Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention; Quorum; Chair; Vice Chair; Vacancies.
D. The Chair of the Commission shall be a Regular Member and shall be named by the Chancellor on or before January 15 of each year to serve for a term coincident with the Chancellor’s term, but no person shall serve as Chair for more than three years in succession. The Vice Chair of the Commission shall be a Regular Member and shall be named by the Chancellor-Elect on or before January 15 of each year to serve for a term coincident with the Chancellor-Elect’s term, but no person shall serve as Vice Chair for more than three years in succession. No person shall be appointed as a Chair or Vice Chair without having first served during a judicial election year as either a commission member or as a trained investigator in the Commission’s Investigative Division.