International Law Committee Meeting July 23
Please join the members of the International Law Committee for an open meeting to discuss the administration of the various relationships the Philadelphia Bar Association has with foreign bar associations.
The Philadelphia Bar Association currently has formal relationships with the bar associations of Lyon, France; Barcelona, Spain; and Montreal, Canada. Our long-standing relationship with the Lyon Bar Association has led to increased ties between the city of Philadelphia and the Rhone Alps region, a successful 17-year-long attorney exchange program, and international business and legal collaboration. Through our relationship with the Lyon Bar, the Manchester Law Society (United Kingdom) has expressed interest in having a friendship agreement with the Philadelphia Bar as well. More agreements with other foreign bar associations may be formalized in the coming year. These relationships are excellent vehicles for business development, sharing of information, and developing international relationships.
Though these relationships have been informally managed within the International Law Committee for years, the Philadelphia Bar Association has asked the International Law Committee to take a more active and official role in managing and expanding these and future relationships. The open committee meeting is intended to get input from members of the committee and Philadelphia Bar Association members at large with an interest in the international legal community on how we can maximize these relationships. Some agenda items include:
- Identifying key people interested in being a "point person" or generally aiding the development of a relationship with a foreign bar association
- The development and administration of law student and attorney exchange programs, such as exists currently with the Lyon Bar Association, with an eye toward maintaining connections with the alumni of our exchange programs
- Discussion on how we can foster the exchange of legal knowledge and educational materials with foreign colleagues
- Exploring opportunities to coordinate with Philadelphia's business community, international chambers of commerce, and consular corps to maximize these relationships and make Philadelphia more hospitable to foreign legal and business relationships.
- Identifying ways to evaluate the economic impact of these relationships on our region.
If you are interested in working in a team to help foster and administer these relationships, please join us on July 23 at 12 p.m. All are welcome.
There is no cost to attend this program, which begins at 12 p.m. in the 11th floor Conference Center at the Philadelphia Bar Association, 1101 Market St. Lunch is available for $8 for members of the Philadelphia Bar Association and $12 for non-members. Cancellations require 24 hours notice. Click here to register for lunch.